Tuesday 25 September 2012

The irony of joy at funerals


     I attended a funeral  this past Saturday for my friend’s father.  My friend has lost his beloved father and I’m empathizing with him and the pain he’s feeling, but I’m also so happy to see him after two years that I’m almost jumping up and down unable to stop smiling.


     Ironically, one of the two major times we gather to see old friends is during a funeral (the other is weddings), which is probably one the saddest events in  a person’s life. For me it is partially joyous because you get to support your long time unvisited friends and family at a time when he or she needs it most. It is not just a time to hang out, but a time to show that you truly love the person you seem to have known forever, and yet rarely ever see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.