Tuesday 10 October 2017

Prah, Constantine, and Baryeh Reviews: The Afterlife Coach by Susan E. Paul


Happy October! We're officially into autumn, for me one of the prettiest seasons of the year. Until everything dies. I’m leading into the book we chose for this month (aren’t I clever?). We stepped away from romance this month and for me it was a good venture. I’m curious to find out what Constantine and Baryeh thought about the book.


The Blurb
Imagine waking up to find Napoleon Bonaparte, Janis Joplin and Count Dracula in your kitchen eating Froot Loops. 

For Claire Anderson, this crosses the line. 

To make matters worse, they’re on the lam and can’t be returned to sender until In Between, the afterlife way station, can arrange transportation to pick them up. In the meantime, Claire tries to contain this motley crew, hoping to stave off an international incident. How do they manage to walk among us? Will Claire succeed in repatriating them? And at what cost? 

The Afterlife Coach is a humorous tale of second chances, self-awareness and, for those among us who make bad choices, demonstrates just how hard it is to die happily ever after. 

My Review
The simplicity of the cover and the engaging blurb roped me into reading the novel. An afterlife coach is a concept I have never hear of, until this book. Very interesting. Claire was very likeable and I felt sorry for her at the beginning of the book. I cheered her on as the book progressed. In the end I was glad she’d found the trio sitting at her kitchen table because she’d found, or rather re-found, her true calling and found peace.

I did find the story a little slow in the beginning, but then it picked up and the novel flew by. I don’t know anything about heaven or the afterlife, but I like the way Ms. Anderson described it and why people ended up back on earth. She definitely has a way with words and the images leapt from the page into my head as I laughed at the antics the crew got into.

I give this book four out five guitar shaped chocolate bars.


I purchased my book from AmazonUK

Remember to stop over at Constantine and Baryeh's blogs to see what they thought of the story.

6 comments:

  1. Great review! The premise for this book sounds so unique and fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was unique. In so many ways.

      Delete
  2. Hm, I didn't find the beginning slow at all. I think I was caught up in Claire's humour so the beginning was fine. Given that your chocolate bars are guitar shaped, I assume Janis was your favourite of the three?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Actually Dracula was my favorite. The guitars were an easy symbol.

      Delete
  3. Good Review, Nana. I also liked how she found somewhat peace at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply. I loved the scene with her mother. Loved it.

      Delete

I love reading your comments.