Friday 6 March 2015

Review: Before the Morning by Zee Monodee #RomanticSuspense

The blurb

Before The Morning
...is the time of greater darkness... 

A trained killer with borderline sociopathic tendencies
Rayne Cheltham traced out her life's path when she was twelve: she would marry her best friend and bear his children, and in the process, stifle the restless edge in her. When he vows never to marry, she gives in to the darkness and becomes a clandestine agent—until the day he walks into her world again, and her carefully fabricated façade crumbles.

A former cop burned by life and his personal demons
When Ash Gilfoy meets a woman who reminds him of his childhood best friend, he starts upon a path that leads him down into the abyss once again. The day Rayne waltzes back into his life, he knows she is his second chance, and the one who will save him.

Each thinks the other is their redemption . . . until they discover how deep darkness goes inside both of them.
The secrets between them make them sit on a keg of gunpowder with a lit fuse in their hands. Rayne’s whole life is built on a lie, and the truth is threatening to explode in their faces. But that is not the only menace they have to face. Someone is out to get Rayne, and she must disclose her secret past before it is too late.

Can Rayne and Ash survive all that’s thrown in their path? Can they hang on to the last thread of their relationship, and can they emerge, still together and still alive, in the morning after the deepest darkness? 

My Review
After reading the blurb I wondered just how Ms. Monodee could get me to empathize with a trained assassin enough for me to not only like her, but want her to end up with the hero. I had no need to worry. Rayne had so many layers to her personality that it would’ve been more of a task for me not to root for her happiness.

Ms. Monodee has combined action with a gentleness that can only come with a true romance. She got me so into their world that when I finished the book I wanted to take shooting lessons, try on a hot pair of stillettoes and test drive a kick or two with them, but mostly I desired to live an undercover life. Of course I wouldn’t hide it from my man, because that didn’t work out too well for Rayne.

I give this book four out of five 9mm gun shaped chocolate bars.

I received a copy of this book for an honest review. But if you want you can get your copy here.


3 comments:

  1. A fine review, Nana. When romance and the undercover world go hand in had, it promises to be explosive. On my TBR list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celestine. The suspense gives romance a certain spark.

      Delete

I love reading your comments.