Tuesday 30 April 2019

Agent query response: “Publishing is subjective.”


via GIPHY


The full quote from an agent I recently queried was: “As you know, publishing is subjective and it's entirely possible you'll find another agent able to prove me wrong.”

Just like all things writing related, the process of finding an agent has been an exercise in skin toughening. So far all I have gotten are rejections with the same general statement about subjectivity. But I know (said with hand fisted in the air and true belief) that I will get someone who likes the book and wants to be my agent. Not only that, but they will work their behinds off to get the book a great deal. Henceforth proving those nay sayers  wrong.

In the meantime I am revising the story, layering it with drama and having yet another beta reader take a look at it before sending it out to another round of agents. Wish me luck.

This post was sparked by a book club that I belong to. We read a very highly anticipated book of short stories. Most of the stories were speculative fiction, which was outside of my comfort zone and yet because the writing and storytelling was good, I still enjoyed most of the stories. Basically the ones I could understand.

Anyway, the group seemed to have disliked the book and I can’t understand how they could have such strong negative emotions about it. 

And then the comment from the agents hit me.

Subjectivity.

It comes as a part of life. Everything we do, see, touch, etc. has a subjective connotation to it because our perspective is the only one that is who we are. This is why a few reviewers will detest a book that so many others loved. It’s a part of life, just like taxes (paying or evading).

Other people’s opinions, whether good or bad, can’t be taken personally. In the end it is the individual’s own feeling on the topic that counts.

Lesson learned. Hopefully, I’ll accept it as my true belief so that the rejections that are part of being an author don’t hit so hard.

9 comments:

  1. It's hard. You have to develop a tough skin. When putting your work out there, you have to expect that you're not going to please everyone, no matter how great the piece. Negative reviews sting but are inevitable. Same with agents. I've queried and received rejections. You just have keep your head up high and carry on. Someone is out there for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DRC. The writer's life is a very rocky one.

      Delete
  2. Rejections. Rejections. Rejections.

    My skin has turned into chainmail, and you'd think with all that armor I've invested, those darn rejections wouldn't pierce skin, but they do.

    And yes, every single, or most every single response from and agent or editor talks of it being subjective.

    You've heard it a million times, it only takes one 'Yes"--- and that's the truth.

    I know there's an agent out there for you because I've read your wonderful novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cathy. Laughing at your chainmail skin. Tough, but not impenetrable.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry, Nana. I think I've drunk that bitter pill too many times. :) I sort of understand, but in many ways I don't, purely from an editor's stance. I edit many books, many brilliantly written books every month. And not all of them are the genre or type of romance I'd normally gravitate toward, but I'm not going to dispute that those books are brilliantly written, that they would appeal to most readers. So, I am not sure I understand what they mean. But maybe as an editor I've trained my eye to not only find mistakes, but also to find the beauty in each creation. I think it's stupid wording, to be honest. It's a lazy way - a way of getting out of saying what they think really is wrong / needs improvement. But, it also is true from a reader's POV - sometimes I don't always like the most popular books and I go crazy over something niche. I know your persistence is going to win out and you will find the agent who believes in your book, and if this whole thing is causing you to make your book even better, then isn't it a good thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its definitely a good thing. I have to agree with them not wanting to or having the time to give back detailed information. The industry is business driven and they want something they know will sell. The thing is that one can never tell until the book is available for people to read.

      Delete
  4. It only takes one to say yes. So hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.