Tuesday 24 September 2019

Review: Hook Shot by Kennedy Ryan



The Blurb
A deeply emotional standalone romance set in the worlds of professional basketball and high fashion.

Divorced. Single dad. Traded to a losing squad. Cheated on, betrayed, exposed.
My perfect life blew up in my face and I'm still picking up the pieces.
The last thing I need is her.
A wildflower. A storm. A woman I can't resist.
Lotus DuPree is a kick to my gut and a wrench in my plans
from the moment our eyes meet.
I promised myself I wouldn't trust a woman again,
but I've never wanted anyone the way I want Lo.
She's not the plan I made, but she's the risk I have to take.

A warrior. A baller. The one they call Gladiator. Kenan Ross charged into my life smelling all good, looking even better and snatching my breath from the moment we met.
The last thing I need is him.
I'm working on me. Facing my pain and conquering my demons.
I've seen what trusting a man gets you.
I. Don't. Have. Time. For. This.
But he just keeps coming for me.
Keeps knocking down my defenses and stealing my excuses
one by one.
He never gives up, and now...I'm not sure I want him to. 

Prelude to a review
This book came highly recommended to me by my friend and fellow author Empi Baryeh so of course I had to read it. I thank Empi for knowing me well enough to realize that I would love this book, just as she did. Such an amazing novel.

My Review
This book was amazing. I can totally see why Ms. Ryan won the RITA 2019 award for contemporary romance. Her writing is fantastic. She has a poetic flow with words that had me highlighting in the Kindle so that I could go back and gush over the sentiment again.

There was so much depth of emotion between Kenan and Lotus. An inevitable type of love that was purely destined. Such a beautiful story. I loved the realism of the paranormal aspect and the fact that not all of the characters bought into it. By the end of the story, I was closer to being a believer.

Lotus was an amazing heroine. Strong, kind, intelligent, beautiful, intuitive. Did I mention strong? She was well rounded and believable. She’d gone through hard times and yet didn’t let it tie her down. She pushed through, which made her a better person. Her struggle to become more of who she knew she was meant to be made the novel even more exceptional.

Kenan. Oh, my goodness I loved him and the baggage that he came with. An amazing, patient, sweet, and caring hero. An alpha all the way, but putty when it came to Lotus. He was a melt-your-heart romantic. Not to say that he was all sweetness, no, Kenan brought the heat.

Lotus and Kenan together were the perfect couple. Destiny saw to it.

I give this book five out of five basketball shaped chocolate bars.

I purchased my copy from AmazonUK

2 comments:

I love reading your comments.