Monday 20 August 2018

Review: A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals #1) by Alyssa Cole


The Blurb
From acclaimed author Alyssa Cole comes the tale of a city Cinderella and her Prince Charming in disguise . . . 

Between grad school and multiple jobs, Naledi Smith doesn’t have time for fairy tales…or patience for the constant e-mails claiming she’s betrothed to an African prince. Sure. Right. Delete! As a former foster kid, she’s learned that the only things she can depend on are herself and the scientific method, and a silly e-mail won’t convince her otherwise.

Prince Thabiso is the sole heir to the throne of Thesolo, shouldering the hopes of his parents and his people. At the top of their list? His marriage. Ever dutiful, he tracks down his missing betrothed. When Naledi mistakes the prince for a pauper, Thabiso can’t resist the chance to experience life—and love—without the burden of his crown.

The chemistry between them is instant and irresistible, and flirty friendship quickly evolves into passionate nights. But when the truth is revealed, can a princess in theory become a princess ever after? 

My review
Just look at that amazing cover! The first time I saw it I admired the book. Then I read the blurb and I was panting with need. And then I read it and what started out as infatuation turned into love. I wish Thesolo was a real place in Africa because Ms. Cole made it so appealing that I’m sure I’d book a ticket for a visit. The details of the environments, characters, and even scientific work Naledi did were vivid and thorough, but not overwhelming. Perfect is how I’d describe it.

Naledi has pulled herself through a rough life to make a success of it. Her childhood in foster care has shaped her in a way that she is both determined to get and do what she needs for her career, yet hesitant to stand up for herself when it’s clear that she really needs to.

Prince Thabiso has a huge responsibility as the future king of Thesolo. He has pressure coming at him from every direction, but he’s been groomed for the role so he handles it well. I like that Nadeli teaches him with their experiences and that he’s willing to learn and grow through knowing her. His deception when he first meets her doesn’t sit well (with me or Naledi), but things had to happen the way they did to get the outcome. At least they both knew for certain that Naledi appreciated his true self rather than his princely title.

The chemistry between the two was incredibly beautiful. So were the relationships with the other characters in the story. I’m so glad that I read this book and look forward to reading book two and hopefully more, as soon as Ms. Cole releases them.

I give this book five out of five test tube shaped chocolate bars.

I purchased my copy from AmazonUK

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, this book sounds like such a fun read. And I totally agree with you about the cover--so sweet and stunning!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.