Thursday 15 June 2017

My Harlequin Experience


For the next three Original Nana posts I’m going to tell you about my experience when it came to signing with Harlequin Kimani (I’m pretty sure I’m supposed to add trademark symbols in there somewhere). I’m not going the traditional route and informing you about the submission process, the contract, editorial process, etc. No. I’d like to tell you about the changes I made to my first book with them, A Perfect Caress.

My experience with Harlequin has been interesting and enlightening. Enough for me to sign a contract with them for two more books in the series. Yay!

When I first signed with Harlequin I sent the following message to my good friend and fellow author: “I’ve sold my soul to Harlequin.” I didn’t say it with a joyous grin on my face either. One of the biggest publishers in the world is a demanding boss and when they sign you they want to bring out the best you can offer. This is a freaking lot of work. I mean a what the f^*k did I get myself into kind of situation. Especially in the beginning when you’re asked to make changes – lots of changes. Yes the changes made the story, better, but it was still a lot of work.


And then when things calmed down and I found myself in a friendly creative space all I could do was smile because I was a f^*king Harlequin author. Yes the road is difficult and like any relationship I had to give and take, but in the end it has been one of the best experiences of my life.

The Blurb
From the very first touch… 

The moment suave businessman Dante Sanderson brushes hands with Lanelle Murphy, he can't get her out of his head. The guarded beauty resists all of his polished attempts at seduction. To soften the pain in her past, she's dedicated her life and family fortune to helping others, not chasing sexy millionaires like Dante.

Something about Lanelle makes Dante want to open his heart like never before. He knows their encounters are destiny. Lanelle is sure their sparks mean another heartache is in the making. Yet her cherished new project—a state-of-the-art neonatal unit—brings them together. From charity ball dances to strolls in Milan, desire pushes her…right into his arms. But will Lanelle be able to seize this sweet second chance at love? 

2 comments:

  1. Can only imagine how demanding such a huge publisher like that can be. Glad the experience was ultimately a rewarding one!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.