Wednesday 2 April 2014

IWSG

A huge thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for starting IWSG. If you’d like to be supported as a writer then this group is for you. Click on Alex’s name to join.


I haven’t written anything of a fictional nature in over a month. I’ve been writing blog posts and interviews in order to promote my new book, Midwife To Destiny, but it’s not the same.

I’ve run into a wall when it comes to writing. I refuse to call it writer’s block. Instead let’s call it Nana’s fictional writing hiatus. Doesn’t that sound better?

The cause is staring me in the face and refuses to move. I started a romance a few months ago and it took a horribly wrong turn and now I’m not sure how to fix it or if I should just carry on with it and attempt to fix it later. And yet if I keep going with it the story continues to go in a whole different direction than if I go back and fix it.


My answer to these plaguing back and forth issues? Hiatus. Once I ingest enough chocolate courage I’ll sit back down in front of the piece and either tear it apart or retire it for good. I’ll let you know.


12 comments:

  1. I have no words of wisdom, but I do like the idea of chocolate courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite part about having to tackle the piece.

      Delete
  2. writing hiatus definitely sounds better ;) you will get there, with chacolate courage there is no doubt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sivakarthik. This encouragement is awesome.

      Delete
  3. I fully support Nana’s fictional writing hiatus. It gets my vote, hands down, no contest. And I'm all about chocolate courage...and wine...wine helps me when I get too happy with my own hiatus adventures. Hope you figure it out soon! You can do this! I know it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, S.K. Your support means the world to me. I think I'll add wine. If it's good enough for you then I've got to try it.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you! Sometimes stepping away from a project is just what we have to do. Walking, driving, and yoga help me. Oddly enough, taking a drive in the country seems to spur ideas. Chocolate is a good solution as well! Happy IWSG post day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Candilynn. Those are all really good ideas.

      Delete
  5. I read some advice once that said we shouldn't go back and fix our rough drafts while we are in the middle. This writer said that if we change the protagonist from a teenage girl with braces to motorcycle gang leading man, just plow on through from that change.

    I guess for that advice to work you have to know where you are going. Good luck and thanks for visiting.

    Leanne Ross ( readfaced.wordpress.com & @LeanneRossRF )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leanne. I'll have to see where I'm going.

      Delete
  6. Chocolate courage=genius move. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.