Thursday 5 September 2013

The Good of #Ghana – A new weekly feature

My contemporary multicultural romance is being released with Decadent Publishing (pause to dance) yearly next year with their Ubuntu line. This line features romance novels that are based in Africa. It aims to expose the ‘real’ Africa to the world rather than the ‘misconceived’ version most people walk around with in their head (anybody think of nearly naked starving people tromping through a jungle?- eh hem).

While I am waiting for my book to be released I had the bright idea to share the good aspects of Ghana, leaving out the bad and the ugly.

Ghana is a wonderful country and I'm sure you'll enjoy your journey with me every Thursday for the next few months. 

In the meantime I’ll leave you with some of the fantastic books that have been published on the Ubuntu line. Buy one or two, heck buy all of them and enjoy Africa from a romantic perspective.

The Blurb
When Christy Inemi-Spiff discovers that the man she vowed to love and honor has no such feelings for her, she is determined to cut her losses and move on with her life. A quick, quiet divorce is all she wishes….

However, Joshua has other ideas. He’s not ready to walk away yet, especially when he doesn’t understand why Christy wants out of their marriage. So he demands she agree to spend a quiet Christmas on a remote African Island with him, hoping they can salvage their relationship. If she still wants a divorce after these two weeks, he will let her go. But not before he’s had his fill of her.

But with the sparking tension between them, and the secrets behind the disintegration of their marriage threatening to explode, will either of them get their wish? Or will this season of good will show them what really lies at the bottom of their hearts?


The Blurb
A young woman’s first love walks back into her life at the worst time possible—she is about to start a family with another man. But when her dreams begin to crumble, which one will be there to help her pick up the pieces?

Seven years earlier, at university, Tessa Calitz wrote a letter to Ryan le Roux promising her undying love. As time passed, she forgot about that letter...but not Ryan, who clung to the hope that she would wait for him.

Such is not the case when he walks back into her life. Tessa is in a serious relationship, and is busy setting up her art gallery in Johannesburg. She has plans to start a family, and the arrival of Ryan into her life throws her for a spin.

He is the worst thing that could happen to her dream of stability and starting a family...or is he?

Because when her relationship and everything she clung to starts to crumble, Ryan is right beside her to inspire her to greater things.

But her obsession for having her own child pushes Ryan away when she falls in love with an orphaned HIV-positive baby.

What can Ryan do to make Tessa realize that being with him is what her heart has longed for all along?



The Blurb
Divorce paints a scarlet letter on her back when she returns to the culture-driven society of Mauritius. This same spotlight shines as a beacon of hope for the man who never stopped loving her. Can the second time around be the right one for these former teenage sweethearts?

Indian-origin Lara Reddy left London after her husband dumps her for a more accommodating uterus—at least, that’s what his desertion feels like. Bumping into him and his pregnant new missus doesn’t help matters any, and she thus jumps on a prestigious job offer. The kicker? The job is in Mauritius, her parents' homeland, and a society she ran away from over a decade earlier.

But once here, Lara has no escape. Not from the gossip, the contempt, the harassing matchmaking...and certainly not from the man she hoped never to meet again. The boy she’d loved and lost—white Mauritian native, Eric Marivaux.

Back when they were teens, Eric left her, and Lara vowed she’d never let herself be hurt again.
Today, they are both adults, and facing the same crossroads they’d stood at so many years earlier.

Lara now stands on the other side of Mauritian society. Will this be the impetus she needs to take a chance on Eric and love again?


(Okay, this next  book isn't from Ubuntu, or even Decadent, but I had to add her, she's my Paddy from Black Opal Books, and it's set in Ghana)

The Blurb

HE DIDN’T DO SHORT TERM RELATIONSHIPS…

American ad exec, Thane Aleksander, doesn’t date co-workers either—until business takes him to Ghana, West Africa, and he meets Naaki. Now he’s at risk of breaking all the rules. Can he stop this headlong fall before it’s too late?

UNTIL HE MET HER!

Naaki Tabika has a burning need to prove, to herself and to others, that she’s more than wife and mother material. To do so, she’s prepared to give up everything for her job. Meeting Thane, however, makes her want to get personal. But falling for her boss could destroy her career. Will she be willing to risk it all for the one thing that can make her truly happy?

Two divergent cultures, two different races, two career-driven professionals, only one chance at true love—will they find the faith to take it, or will their hearts be sacrificed on the altar of financial success?


19 comments:

  1. Can't wait to learn all about Ghana, Nana! And all the books featured sound wonderful, you're in good author company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I hope to make Ghana more real for people. The authors are wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I was in Ghana on holiday in 1998 and I discovered the beauty and serenity of your country. I'll be looking forward to reading all I didn't experience and relieving the areas I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Stella. I'm looking forward to it to.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, Nana - I love to learn about exotic places so I can put them all on bucket list to visit :)

    Great book selections - All the covers and blurbs sound great but I've always had a special place in my heart for Empi's cover since the first time I saw it. It's perfect. Sexy, sweet, romantic. I just love it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover's are hot. Stop blowing up Empi's head, Debbie. She's hard to manage as it is. lol.

      Delete
  4. Great idea, Nana. Yes, many have the god awful images of Africa. It's those infomercials with starving children, armed militia barging through the villages built of mud huts. People so destitute their will drained and all they can do is wait for death to come and get them. It's nice to present your country in a true light. Show us the modern Africa.
    It's same kind of distorted picture that many people have of Croatia. Just because of a civil and bloody war that happen over 20 years ago now. They just seem to want to dig out any dirt they can to present my country is a bad light. Oh, there were x number of unaccounted mines still there. Well, there are apparently some number close to Bosnia but areas are clearly marked and they have teams searching. So stay away from those spots, unless a person have some crazy death wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghana will shine on my blog. Sorry Croatia has such a bad rep. I'm going to have to see a picture of it after it's been rebuilt. My ex went to Bosnia for peace keeping over ten years ago, for a whole year he was stress incarnate.

      Delete
  5. Island Bound and Dragon Fly Moments have caught my interest. Congrats on your book getting picked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheena-kay, I'm very excited about it.

      Delete
  6. When is your Decadent book coming out, Nana? Can't wait to see it. Thank you so much for featuring my book on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Kathy. My book is coming out early next year. No date is set yet.

      Delete
  7. Yay for my sister. I'm so proud of you and can't wait for the release. Now, a real great idea, blogging about Ghana! I would love to read what you write.

    Wonderful blurbs. I have Chancing Faith sitting on my bookshelf. And I'm really desperate to read a book by Kiru, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Celestine. Hopefully soon you will be able to order books, that would be great.

      Delete
    2. You should definitely read Kiru. Start with "His Treasure".

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for a feature! I love learning about places that I've never been to and one of my favorite things about blogging has been the opportunity to connect with people from all different parts of the world. Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Ghana is a wonderful country. I hope you enjoy visiting it with me.

      Delete
  9. Hi Nana. Thanks for adding me to the list (Folks, I promise I didn't strong arm Nana to add me). The books all sound great. Congrats to Kiru, Kathy and Zee. I might join you at Ubuntu soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read all three in Kiru's series, Empi. I'll post the reviews soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete

I love reading your comments.