Friday 12 October 2012

Being tested hurts like a belt to the backside


You never know who you really are until you are tested. Mt. Afadjato in the Volta Region of Ghana tested me and I was found wanting in my own sight.  During the climb I said (after vehemently claiming that I wanted to quit), “This is not who I am!” My wise friend said with a huge smile on his face, “How do you know who are if you have never been tested?” And then he proceeded to encourage me up the mountain. Although I had wanted to quit and would have if I had been left to my own devises, I continued on. 
   As I was sweating, panting, and thinking about rolling myself back down the mountain I became thoroughly disappointed in myself because at that point I considered myself a quitter. But I was not a quitter at all because I persevered and made it to the top. I may not have received an A on this test, but I didn't fail it either, making all the difference between me being a quitter and a mountain top stander.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.