Thursday 6 December 2018

Review: A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals 2) by Alyssa Cole



The Blurb
Award-winning author Alyssa Cole’s Reluctant Royals series continues with a woman on a quest to be the heroine of her own story and the duke in shining armor she rescues along the way

New York City socialite and perpetual hot mess Portia Hobbs is tired of disappointing her family, friends, and—most importantly—herself. An apprenticeship with a struggling swordmaker in Scotland is a chance to use her expertise and discover what she’s capable of. Turns out she excels at aggravating her gruff silver fox boss…when she’s not having inappropriate fantasies about his sexy Scottish burr.

Tavish McKenzie doesn’t need a rich, spoiled American telling him how to run his armory…even if she is infuriatingly good at it. Tav tries to rebuff his apprentice, and his attraction to her, but when Portia accidentally discovers that he’s the secret son of a duke, rough-around-the-edges Tav becomes her newest makeover project.

Forging metal into weapons and armor is one thing, but when desire burns out of control and the media spotlight gets too hot to bear, can a commoner turned duke and his posh apprentice find lasting love?

My Review
Oh my goodness this book was the best! I loved A Princess in Theory, but this novel topped it. It had me laughing and tearing up. I now really want to learn European martial arts and take a trip return trip to Scotland.

 I’ll admit that I didn’t like drunk Portia from Book #1, but New Portia was amazing. The interesting part was that she didn’t know it, and that was part of her journey. She discovered a lot about herself during this story which made her tale more intriguing.

Tavish was hilarious, a gruff man for sure, but a sweetheart too. I wouldn’t want to be in his position of finding out his new status of royalty, but with help he handled it well.

The way Portia and Tavish’s attraction was described made me want to experience it for myself because it was incredible and consistent.

The story kept me on my toes. I almost took a peep at the end of the book in order to find out what would happen. This is a rarity for me.

I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. A Prince on Paper with Johan – sigh!

I give this book five out of five sword shaped chocolate bars.

I purchased my copy from AmazonUK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.