Monday 20 August 2018

Review: Witch For Hire (Witch For Hire #1) by Shyla Colt


The Blurb
Young, terrified, and bound to a vampire, Louella Eschete fled the bayou and swore off magic. Years later, she’s returned to the tiny town of Cypress, Louisiana to take her rightful place as head of her magical family, whether she likes it or not. 

In order to keep the tentative peace formed between the various races of powerful beings who rule side by side, she must face her own demons. Mainly one, Cristobal Cortez. Now a master vampire, and lord of the seven cities surrounding New Orleans, her former lover has moved up in the world. Their relationship gets way more complicated when his court is framed for a rash of murders they didn’t commit.

Forced to play her role as his bond mate, and launch an investigation into the darkness threatening to overturn truces, she may be in over her head. 

My Review
Ms. Colt put my favorite things together into one incredible read. The romance was truly romantic, especially when Cristobal spoke- that vampire knew how to use his words to make me want him.
The paranormal had witches, vampires, shifters, and others were mentioned. The fact that Louella is a witch and Cristobal is a vampire put a fascinating – will they or won’t they make it- twist on the story. The bond mate aspect added a dimension to the story that brought in fate – I loved that.
Louella is a hella strong heroine. She’s the kind of woman who knows exactly who she is and what she’s all about because she took the chance to live life on her own terms and grew into the woman who can lead others.

Mystery was all mixed up in the story as they attempted to discover who was framing the vampires. The story was also full of action which I could see playing out in my mind. It was a MC/IR story which also made me happy.

Although I spent every spare minute I had reading the book because I was so enthralled, I did have a couple of issues with it. The typos were enough to annoy me, which usually doesn’t happen. The second was that one of the aspects of the book was left hanging that I wanted to see a conclusion to. I wonder if this will drive book 2 in the series (which I already bought). Despite the minor issues, I loved this story and the descriptive way Ms. Colt told it.

I give this book five out of five designer gown chocolate bars.

I purchased my copy from AmazonUK.


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I'm always drawn to stories with witches or vampires, so the fact that this one has both leaves me intrigued. Hope the second book gives you answers for that loose end you wanted a conclusion to!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.