Tuesday 30 August 2016

Kiss free book covers please


I'll be honest, I don't like to see couples full lip kissing on book covers. There, it's off my chest. 

For me romance is about the anticipation of the couple getting together. I love almost first kisses. You know the moment when you're sure the couple is going to kiss and the author has set it up so that you are rooting for them to get together, but then they don't for whatever reason and you're disappointed. That moment of anticipation stretches out the romance for the couple.

Because I don't want the kiss between the hero and heroine to happen too quickly, I'd prefer that it wasn't represented on the cover. I'm not sure if that sounds logical or not. All I know is that I want to be able to picture that magic moment of the first kiss in my mind. For this reason I like romance covers to have near kisses rather than full ones



Another reason (probably the main one)  why I don't care to see people kissing on book covers, is because I'm not the biggest fan of public displays of affection. this might be weird because adore romanctic comedies and I don't mind seeing the hero and heroine kiss. But after a little while I start wanting to fast forward it.

Don't get me wrong, I won't refuse to buy a book because there is kissing on the cover, it's just that I prefer them without.

What's your preference?

8 comments:

  1. You are like my my friend. i do not like public display of affection at all. Maybe it's because of my strict upbringing or the African in me. Meanwhile, hubby is the exact opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have me laughing. Who wins in the tug-of-war if hand holding?

      Delete
  2. Hahaha. You don't like PDAs? Well, I don't mind them. And about book covers, I agree it's about the anticipation so near-kisses work great.

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will they or won't they? That is the question.

      Delete
  3. Don't think I've ever come across a cover with full-on kissing like that. If I have, it clearly wasn't memorable enough, haha. While a kissy cover wouldn't bother me, I agree, almost-kisses are more appealing to see. Something about those are just more intimate and special.

    And, I must admit, as an artist, I much prefer almost-kisses. Full-on kissing is always incredibly awkward for me to draw. Makes me wonder if cover designers have a similar viewpoint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought about it from an artist standpoint. Interesting.

      Delete
  4. For me, the more left to the imagination, the better. I liked reading what Heather had to say. That brings another perspective into the conversation.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.