Saturday 28 May 2016

Book Review: The Unleashing (Call of Crows #1) by Shelly Laurenston #ParanormalRomance


The Blurb

WINGING IT

Kera Watson never expected to face death behind a Los Angeles coffee shop. Not after surviving two tours lugging an M16 around the Middle East. If it wasn’t for her hot Viking customer showing up too late to help, nobody would even see her die.

In uncountable years of service to the Allfather Odin, Ludvig “Vig” Rundstöm has never seen anyone kick ass with quite as much style as Kera. He knows one way to save her life—but she might not like it. Signing up with the Crows will get Kera a new set of battle buddies: cackling, gossiping, squabbling, party-hearty women. With wings. So not the Marines.

But Vig can’t give up on someone as special as Kera. With a storm of oh-crap magic speeding straight for L.A., survival will depend on combining their strengths: Kera’s discipline, Vig’s loyalty… and the Crows’ sheer love of battle. Boy, are they in trouble. 


My review
Oh my. I loved this book. First of all the varying perspectives intrigued me. It’s been long time since I read multi perspective book that didn’t make me dizzy. Ms. Laurenston did a marvelous job of giving the complete story from different views. It endeared me to so many more of the characters without making me lose sight of the hero and heroine.

One of my favorite aspects about this book was that it was a multicultural story which actually pushed the fact into the reader’s face, without making it annoying. The Crows were came from different races, whereas the other clans came from one Nordic line. I loved that the Crows came from a plethora of cultures and experiences and yet in the end they were one family after having been called by a goddess who found them fit to fight for her. And boy could they kick ass (another favorite of mine).

The romance between Kera and Vig was so dag on sweet. Even when they got to the sensual parts, it was still sweet. From the beginning it was clear that Vig was in love with Kera and I loved it.
There were times when  I found myself grinning for an extended period of time because the whole scene was so funny. The characters were a hoot. The conversations consisted of a lot of well written sarcasm.

I give this book five out of five crow shaped chocolate bars.


I purchased this book from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.