Friday 26 June 2015

Review: Scarred (A Damaged Souls Novel) by Twyla Turner


Prelude to a review: I was introduced to this book when I read a review of it on Book Swagger. The way she raved about this book had me wanting to order it right away, but I hesitated. Only because I’m a romance junky, and its rare that I ever want anything gritty to get in the way of my romance. Rape is gritty. 

After reading a reply response to a comment I left on Book Swagger, I decided to go for it. This book has been on my mind ever since I ordered it last month. When I finally read it took me two days to read it. I’m a slow reader so two days means I spent most of the night awake reading it.

The Blurb

Alexis Bolden has seen her fair share of tragedy and experienced enough abuse to last a lifetime. Witnessing the double murder-suicide of her parents and dealing with a string of abusive losers, Lexi often found comfort in the brutal ritual of 'cutting'. And now, narrowly escaping with her life after the last episode of abuse, Lexi finally finds the courage to press charges and start a new life. 

Meanwhile, Sloan Stryker, a war veteran suffering from the physical and internal scars of war and bouts of PTSD, has found himself estranged from his disapproving parents, no job and homeless. 

Through a chance meeting and dramatic rescue, an unusual friendship develops between these two wounded people. Can they work past their damaged souls to finally come together? Find out in Twyla Turner's new erotic romance, Scarred...accompanied by a sensual auditory journey.

My Review
Unsure about how I’d be able to handle the harsher aspects of this book, I took the recommendation of a book blogger and dove in. Scarred is an amazing story. The words: Real, honest, and beautiful came to mind as I read it. From the first wince inducing scene to the last, there’s something about this book that had me not wanting to put the book down.

As indicated by the title, both the heroine and hero go through life changing issues that leave them with scars. As always with destiny, they find themselves in the most natural of ways and with their encounter healing begins.

Alexis is a spectacularly generous woman and she's strong in her own way. I really appreciated this about her. She’s a survivor. So is Sloan. A man who started out strong and then ended up low only to be helped up so he could revive again.

I can’t stress enough just how beautiful the story was. The grittier aspects of the story added to its wonderfulness without drawing away from the romance.

I’d give this story a five, but I had a little difficulty with the editing aspect of it which sometimes drew me out.
I purchased this book from Amazon.

I give this story four out of five house shaped chocolate bars.


3 comments:

  1. Great review. I'm off to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful review, Nana and your longest I dare say. I'm sure I'd love this book.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.