Tuesday 29 April 2014

Y is for Your new vision of Africa #atozchallenge

I am an African woman and proud of it. Although my mother raised me in the US she never allowed me to lose sight of where I came from and the rich traditions I was born into. My mother cooked Ghanaian food, she sewed me Ghanaian clothes which I was very proud to wear, and I am currently happy (on most days) to live in Ghana.

The continent is different than you may have been lead to believe and through these posts I hope I’ve opened your eyes a little bit to the beauty, modernism, and versatility of it. Yes we have lots of work to do as a people, but we aren’t where we used to be and that’s a good thing.

My gorgeous mother, me, and my brother at her back in Ghana.

I'm wrapped in Traditional Ghanaian Kente cloth.
A rich fabric, with a richer tradition.

My brother and I dressed in joromi (named for the beautiful intricate stitching). 
This is a gigantic blog hop so click here to see what other bloggers are discussing for this letter. Have fun.

22 comments:

  1. You've done an amazing job with this A to Z challenge, and I've certainly learned a lot! Each culture has its beauty, I loved having you share yours with us. Beautiful pics, the first one is so timeless! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, S.K. That picture is one of my most favorite with my mom.

      Delete
  2. I have enjoyed reading about Africa from your blog. Your pictures are gorgeous and the fabric is so pretty. I love the colors and design and they always remind me of the vibrancy which is Africa. Well done you on your most enjoyable posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lila. I'm glad I could portray what I love about Africa.

      Delete
  3. It was a pleasure to read and discover Africa in the all new perspective the way you presented it. I'm very happy that you are rooted in your traditions in spite of living in The US. The pictures are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy I got the chance to share, and you travelled with me.

      Delete
  4. I seriously admire your love for the Motherland. I've never been to Ghana before, or many of the other countries you've highlighted during your A to Z, but your posts have made it seem like I have. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. I'm glad I could show you a little bit of Africa.

      Delete
  5. Great work, Nana. The ageless photos are stunning. I love Ghana from visiting just once.

    Best wishes.
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stella. I'd love to take a trip to Nigeria one day.

      Delete
  6. I've enjoyed your A to Z posts immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of Africa's rich traditions and seeing you in these pictures have made my day, Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! It saddens me when people abandon their heritage to try and fit in. There is so much beauty in every culture and I LOVE learning about other people's traditions and beliefs.

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos, Nana. You look so much like your mom and you haven't changed at all from your childhood looks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've loved visiting (almost) everyday to learn something new about Africa. It's been a great experience and we are all better for having been a part of it. Great pics of you, your mom and brother. You have special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your family photographs :)

    Also, I have enjoyed coming by your blog and learning more about you, Ghana and your life along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You moved back? Was it hard to adjust?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mother was very beautiful! I have never tried Ghanaian food. I'd love to see a post on that. I probably missed it--I think we just met each other toward the end of the channels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, your family photographs are wonderful! And kudos to your mother for keeping the family traditions alive in you and your brother.
    I've really enjoyed your theme and have learned a great deal.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.