Monday 3 February 2014

Prah & Constantine Review: The Woman He Loved Before by Dorothy Koomson

We’re back with another Prah & Constantine Review after taking time off for the holidays. This month I chose one of my favorite authors of all time, Dorothy Koomson. I’m looking forward to reading what Constantine thought about the book. After reading my review, hop on over to her blog to see her opinion.


The Blurb

Libby has a nice life with a gorgeous husband and a big home by the sea. But over time she is becoming more unsure if Jack has ever loved her ? and if he is over the death of Eve, his first wife. When fate intervenes in their relationship, Libby decides to find out all she can about the man she hastily married and the seemingly perfect Eve. Eventually Libby stumbles across some startling truths about Eve, and is soon unearthing more and more devastating family secrets. Frightened by what she finds and the damage it could cause, Libby starts to worry that she too will end up like the first woman Jack loved...Tense and moving, The Woman He Loved Before explores if the love you want is always the love you need ? or deserve.

My review
I love (repeat it at least seventy times) Dorothy Koomson’s writing. Her style is distinct, flows, and is descriptive without being overbearing. This book is no different with her writing style, yet completely set apart from her other works. The issues of prostitution, personal history, survival, and trauma drove this book from an insider’s perspective.

Ms. Koomson knows how to evoke emotion from a reader. Whether it is disgust, anger, curiosity, fear, regret or sadness, she’s able to write the character so the reader can empathize and when she wants, detest. She had me hanging on to her every beautifully written word sometimes desiring to skip to the end to see how the mystery would eventually unfold before continuing on, but I refrained.

The romances in the book were gorgeous yet heartbreaking. The passionate intense love between Jack and Eve was so different between that of Libby and Jack, that I wanted both to have survived.

I give this book five out of five chocolate bars (and I honestly don’t think it’s enough).

I bought this book from Amazon.com.

Let’s head over to Constantine’s blog to see what she thought.


10 comments:

  1. Nana, as always you write an awesome review, and wish I'd said that. Perfect and right on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy. I'm on my way to your blog now. Can't wait to see what you thought about my favorite author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review, Nana. I might just pick this one up. A mystery from the past I love :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks really interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nana, your reviews are always wonderful and I particularly love this one. Is there any way I can borrow this book to read? I think the theme is unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Celestine. I wish I had lending capability on my Kindle. I would totally share this book.

      Delete
  6. Lovely review. Still can't read her though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She reads like chick lit. I don't think that's your style at all. You're all about the heat, passion, and whips. Lol.

      Delete

I love reading your comments.